A KILLARNEY councillor whose election posters were ripped down, cut up and discarded at a busy junction has said while he is very disappointed, he won’t be deterred from his campaign to get re-elected.
Cllr Niall Kelleher, a candidate in the Killarney area, was shocked to discover that two of his posters had been targeted at Coolcorcoran Cross which is at a junction linking the road to Kilcummin with Knockeendubh where the new Killarney Burial Ground is located.
The discovery was made this Wednesday morning and Cllr Kelleher said it was obvious that his posters were specifically targeted as those belonging to a number of other candidates at the same junction were left untouched.
“It is obvious from the clean cuts made on the posters that a sharp implement was used to cut out my face and to rip up the posters.
“It’s disappointing to know that there are faceless people out there who would make such an extra special effort to do something like this, probably in the dark of night,” he told KillarneyToday.com.
“It left me a bit speechless to be honest but, if you’ll pardon the pun, it just goes to show the cut-throat nature of politics,” he added.
Cllr Kelleher remains defiant and insists he will have two more posters in their place by the end of the day as, he believes, it’s important that everybody is given an opportunity to promote their campaigns.
© KillarneyToday.com is the 24/7 online news service provided by O’Mahony Media
Advertise to boost your business: Over 300,000 views every month. Over 20,000 followers on Facebook. Call 087-2229761