WITH Storm Ophelia due to batter the county in a little over 12 hours, the Kerry Local Coordination Group met this afternoon to respond to the Code Level Red weather warning.
Representatives from Kerry County Council, the HSE, University Hospital Kerry, Kerry Fire and Rescue and Kerry Civil Defence took account of the decisions of the National Emergency Coordination Committee and issued the following advice:
- People in Kerry are advised not to travel from 9am on Monday to 3am on Tuesday. Pedal cycles, motor cycles and high-sided vehicles should not travel.
- Avoid exposed coastal and upland areas including beaches and cliffs.
- It is likely that there will be storm surges in tidal areas so take measures to protect property.
- While it is anticipated that wind rather than rain will be the main concern, there is a Code Level Orange rainfall warning in place. Sandbags have been placed at a number of locations around the county on a precautionary basis.
- Check your own property and ensure that steps are taken to secure any loose objects like garden furniture and wheelie bins.
- Look in on elderly and vulnerable relatives or neighbours who may not be in a position to secure their property.
- Those operating building sites are requested to attend to any materials that could become loose.
- It is envisaged that there will be significant damage caused by winds, especially in terms of fallen branches and trees, with the additional issues surrounding loss of electricity to a substantial number of homes and businesses. People should make appropriate arrangements with an expectation that electricity outages could last a number of days.
- Kerry County Council Civic Amenity Sites operated by Kerry County Council will be closed on Monday. There will be no refuse collection in Killarney town.
- An emergency contact number is available on 066 7183588 for use in an emergency where the assistance of Kerry County Council is required. Information is also available on alerts.kerrycoco.ie and on the main Kerry County Council website www.kerrycoco.ie
KillarneyToday.com: To advertise email: [email protected] or call 087-2229761