THE Killarney-based Gleneagle Group is celebrating being honoured as the Best Innovative Place to Stay at the Irish Tourism Industry Awards.
The progressive hotel group received the award for its innovative work in making its hotels and visitor experiences accessible to all.
Considered to be the highest accolades in the tourism industry, the Irish Tourism Industry Awards encourage, recognise and celebrate excellence in the sector. They are organised by the Irish Tourism Industry Confederation, Fáilte Ireland and Tourism Ireland.
Presenter, Kathryn Thomas, hosted the gala awards evening which took place in Dublin at the Clayton Hotel in Dublin and the awards were presented by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross.
Speaking on behalf of the judging panel, John Naughton CEO of Glen Dimplex Group, said; “We chose the Gleneagle Group as the winner of this category as they have developed an excellent and well thought out concept and have delivered on it”
He added: “They have supported this with an investment commitment to broadening accessibility to all and we consider them to be a leader in this field and a worthy winner.”
Gleneagle Group CEO Patrick O’Donoghue remarked: “It is an honour to be recognised for our work in accessible tourism. Our ethos is to be more than just a group of hotels, to offer more to our guests and to do more for them too”.
Mr O’Donoghue added: “For the past three years we have focused on making our properties accessible, welcoming and a supportive environment for everyone. We have implemented a series of improvements and innovations to ensure our guests experience an unbroken chain of accessibility whilst on their customer journey”
He said the group’s work in this area is ongoing and they are fully committed to continuously improving its offering through research and customer feedback.
The Gleneagle Group had already made history in the hospitality industry in July 2018 by becoming the first business in the world to be accredited by the European Network for Accessible Tourism.
Irish Tourism Industry Awards Winners
- Best International Marketing Initiative: Pharos Reizen
- Best Innovative Place to Stay: The Gleneagle Group
- Best Ireland’s Ancient East Tourism Experience, less than 50,000 visitors: Vagabond Tours of Ireland
- Best Ireland’s Ancient East Tourism Experience, greater than 50,000 visitors: House of Waterford Crystal
- Best Entrepreneurial Tourism Innovation: EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum
- Best Dublin Tourism Experience, greater than 100,000 visitors: Pearse Lyons Distillery
- Best Dublin Tourism Experience, less than 100,000 visitors: The Little Museum of Dublin
- Best Meet in Ireland Business Tourism Innovation: Odyssey International DMC
- Best Food/Beverage Experience: Galway Food Tours
- Best Environmental Tourism Innovative: Vagabond Tours of Ireland
- Best Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands Tourism Experience: Lough Key Forest and Activity Park
- Best Festival/Event Experience: St Patrick’s Festival
- Best Wild Atlantic Way Tourism, less than 50,000 visitors: A Taste of West Cork Food Festival
- Best Wild Atlantic Way Tourism, greater than 50,000 visitors: Cliffs of Moher
- Best International Access Initiative: Aer Lingus
Special Recognition Award: Willie Walsh
© KillarneyToday.com: We have changed the face of local news coverage
Advertise with Kerry’s best read news source: Over 300,000 views every month. Over 20,000 followers on Facebook. Call 087-2229761