‘I’m only one vet and I’ve treated three dogs already so this is a major issue’

The dog that survived came in contact with the poison in the Fossa area

A KILLARNEY vet has issued an urgent warning to the public to beware of the dangers of dogs being poisoned by a substance being placed in lamb or poultry carcasses to kill foxes.

Danny O’Sullivan of the All-Care Veterinary Practice in Killarney has treated three dogs for suspected Nitroxynil poisoning in recent days and, sadly, two of them have died while the third remains seriously ill.

Vet Danny O’Sullivan: “If a dog is poisoned in this way they are almost impossible to save”

“Lambing season is in full swing and some farmers are putting poison in lamb or poultry carcasses to kill foxes. This is a highly dangerous practice as the victims are often pet dogs,” he told KillarneyToday.com.

The dog that survived came in contact with the poison in the Fossa area of Killarney and it is currently fighting for its life.

The vet has asked people to keep their dogs under supervision at all times and to consider keeping them housed or muzzled if they have access to fields near their base. If they are walking in public areas they should be kept on a lead.

“People must keep their dogs safely confined at this time especially if they are in a country area where sheep are lambing. Losing a pet to poisoning is a horrific experience and they can die within hours,” he said.

Symptoms of Nitroxynil poisoning include excessive panting, high temperature and vomiting.

“If a dog is poisoned in this way they are almost impossible to save. I’m only one vet and I’ve treated three dogs already so this is a major issue,” Mr O’Sullivan said.

© KillarneyToday.com is the 24/7 online news service provided by O’Mahony Media
Advertise to boost your business: Over 300,000 views every month. Over 20,000 followers on Facebook. Call 087-2229761