Over €2 million to help adapt houses

Minister Norma Foley

FUNDING of over €2 million has been approved for Kerry County Council for the 2020 housing adaptation grant for older people and people with a disability living in private houses.

The increased funding – which rises to over €2.5 million when the council’s match funding is included – continues to support home adaptations for older people and those with mobility issues and it will enable remain living independently in their own homes for longer should they wish and will also facilitate early return from hospital.  

Announcing details of the funding, Education Minister, Norma Foley, said grants of up to €30,000 are available to assist people with a disability in carrying out necessary works to make a house more suitable for their needs.

Up to €8,000 is available to assist older people living in housing conditions that require improvements to have necessary repairs or improvements carried out and up to €6,000 for mobility aids to address mobility problems for a member of the household.

“This is an increased allocation of funding from 2019 to the local authority to provide this grant aid. The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government provides 80per cent of this funding so in essence that is €2,054,692 with Kerry County Council making up the other 20 per cent,” Minister Foley explained.

Today’s News Today: is the talk of the town with more than 300,000 readers every month and 25,000 followers on Facebook. To advertise call 087-2229761