KT

Plan will enhance quality of life and housing conditions

Funds for improvement works: Minister Norma Foley with fellow Kerry TD Brendan Griffin and former Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy – who has since quit politics – on a previous visit to a social housing project in Killarney.
Picture: Valerie O’Sullivan

OVER €1.2 million in funding has been provided for Kerry through the disabled persons’ grant scheme and improvement works in lieu of the social housing scheme.

Under both schemes, government funding meets 90 per cent of the cost of the works in each property, with the local authority providing the remaining 10 per cent.

€1,268,652 has been allocated to Kerry with Kerry County Council awarded €1,141,787 in grant funding, €126,865 is then matched by the local authority.

The council can access funds of €1,268,652 to carry out work for extensions and adaptations to existing social housing stock for older people and people with a disability.

The works can include the installation of grab-rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms and the conversion of downstairs bedrooms. The scheme also provides extensions in cases of overcrowding.

The improvement works in lieu of the social housing scheme allows local authorities to improve or extend privately owned accommodation where the applicant has been approved for social housing.

It also provides grants for those who are otherwise eligible for social housing to remain in private housing and for enhancements to that property.

Announcing details, Minister for Education and Kerry TD, Norma Foley said it will positively enhance the quality of life and housing conditions for older people and those living with disabilities.