Rebels end Kerry’s unbeaten run

Anna Galvin of Kerry in action against Rachel Leahy, left, and Melissa Duggan of Cork at Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork. Pictures: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

Cork 1-17
Kerry 2-6
Report: Anthony Newman

A goal from Hannah Looney helped Cork to an eight point victory over Kerry in their LadiesNational League Division 1 clash at Páirc Uí Chaoimh but the home side had to withstand a second-half comeback from the table-toppers to inflict a first league defeat on Kerry this season.

Orlaith Cahalane opened the scoring for Cork in the second minute, picking up the loose ball after Katie Quirke’s shot on goal had been blocked. Eimear Kiely added a second from the restart as Cork pushed up to try and put pressure on the Kerry kick-outs.

Ciara O’Sullivan of Cork tackled by Cáit Lynch of Kerry

Four minutes in, and from their first attack, Hannah O’Donoghue pointed for the Kingdom to make it 0-2 to 0-1. O’Donoghue thought she had levelled it but her effort was ruled out for taking too many steps.

Well done: Ellie Jack of Cork and Keri-Ann Hanrahan of Kerry shake hands after the game

Quirke combined with Sarah Leahy for the former to get Cork’s third point before O’Donoghue missed a good opportunity to reduce the gap.

Rachel Dwyer made it 0-3 to 0-2 as Kerry started to settle into the game. Kiely and Ciara O’Sullivan both scored to keep Cork ahead before they too had a goal chance ruled out for over-carrying.

Libby Coppinger added a point, before Ciara O’Sullivan set up Hannah Looney for the game’s opening goal to make it 1-6 to 0-2 with 19 minutes played.

O’Donoghue and Dwyer, from a free, responded for Kerry with Cahalane replying at the other end. Two more from Kiely saw Cork lead by 1-9 to 0-4 at half-time.

Kiely started the second half as she finished the first, with two pointed frees to push the Rebels further in front. Cork were denied a second goal when Ciara Butler saved brilliantly from Dara Kiniry’s effort.

Abigail Ring, on as sub at half-time, increased Cork’s lead to make it 1-12 to 0-4 but Kerry weren’t going to go away easily and Síofra O’Shea goaled for them to bring the visitors back into contention.

Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh of Kerry watches on from the sideline

Kiely and O’Shea exchanged scores as Cork led 1-13 to 1-5 with 15 minutes left. Three minutes later O’Shea got her, and Kerry’s, second goal to make it 1-15 to 2-5 as Kerry showed why they had been undefeated in the league to this point.

Shauna Kelly scored again for Cork with O’Shea replying for Kerry as time ran out and Cork took the points on offer.

Scorers for Cork: E Kiely 0-8 (0-7 frees), H Looney 1-1, O Cahalane 0-2, K Quirke 0-1, C O’Sullivan 0-1, L Coppinger 0-1, A Ring 0-1, S Kelly 0-1, D Kiniry 0-1.

Scorers for Kerry: S O’Shea 2-2 (0-1 free), R Dwyer 0-2 (frees), H O’Donoghue 0-2.

Cork: M O’Sullivan, M Duggan, E Meaney, R Phelan, S Kelly, M O’Callaghan, R Leahy, H Looney, S Leahy, L Coppinger, K Quirke, E Cleary, O Cahalane, E Kiely, C O’Sullivan.

Subs: D Kiniry for O’Callaghan; A O’Mahony for Leahy, A Ring for Cahalane; A Ryan for Duggan; E Jack for Coppinger; S McGoldrick for Cleary; B O’Sullivan for Looney; L McDonagh for Kiely, A McDonagh for R Leahy.

Kerry: C Butler, C O’Brien, E Lynch, A Dillane, C Lynch, E Costello, C Murphy, K Cronin, M O’Connell, N Carmody, A Galvin, A Harrington, F Tangney, R Dwyer, H O’Donoghue.

Subs: N Ni Chonchuir for M O’Connell; S O’Shea for Tangney; E McGlynn for Dwyer;L Scanlon for Carmody, A O’Connell for O’Brien, N Broderick for Dillane;  K Brosnan for O’Donoghue; K A Hanrahan for Harrington.

Referee: Kevin Phelan (Laois).