Trinity and DCU both too strong for Garveys

Rheanne O’Shea from Killarney shoots a three foe St Mary’s

TEAM Garvey’s had a disappointing loss in Dublin when they met current league holders DCU.

The truth is the St Mary’s girls got off to a poor start and were no match for their opponents, netting just four points to DCU’s 21 in the first quarter.

The Castleisland side stepped up their performance in the second period and some great scores from Meabh Barry, Lorraine Scanlon and two big threes from Rachel Ryan saw them take the quarter by a single point to leave the score at the half time interval 36-20 in favour of the hosts.

DCU took control of the game again in the third quarter as they were tough inside and dominated the boards, outscoring Team Garvey’s by 16 points.

Team Garvey’s trailed by 32 points going into the final quarter but although the sides were more evenly matched from that point on, it was much too late for the St Mary’s side.

After the game, coach Liam Culloty acknowledged that his side will have to improve ahead of meeting DCU again in next week when they meet in the Paudie O’Connor Cup in Castleisland on Saturday night.

The final score was DCU 72 Team Garvey’s St Mary’s 43

Le’Jzea Davidson

Top scorers for Team Garvey’s were Deirdre Geaney on 11, Lorraine Scanlon on eight, Meabh Barry and Rachel Ryan on six each.

On Monday Team Garvey’s had home venue when they lined out against Trinity Meteors. The Castleisland side put in a good performance throughout – they were by far the better of the teams in the first quarter – but it was not enough to see them take the win.

Trinity Meteors had an opportunity from the tip but a steal by the home side saw Le’Jzae Davidson open the scoring. Team Garvey’s hit 23 points in the opening quarter while holding their opponents to 11.

Meteors took the second quarter 24 points to 15 with a massive performance from both Rebecca O’Keefe and Dayna Finn.

The sides were separated by just three points at the half time interval, with Team Garvey’s holding the lead 38 points to 35.

Rheanne O’Shea and Le’Jzae Davidson pushed the home side further ahead early in the third but as the quarter progressed, Team Garvey’s failed to hit the target allowing Trinity Meteors pick up most of the rebounds and went on to convert.

With just under four minutes to play in the quarter Meteors took the lead for the first time in the game and the visitors went on to increase their lead to nine points leaving the score at 49 points to 58 in favour of Trinity Meteors as the sides entered the final quarter.

Team Garvey’s had some turnovers in the final quarter which allowed the visitors to increase their lead to 12 with just 3.49 left to play but from here on Team Garvey’s fought for the victory. A steal saw Davidson hit a big three and late scores from Lorraine Scanlon and Meabh Barry along with one final three from Le’Jzae left just three points between the sides as the clock ran down.

Dayna Finn went to the line in the dying seconds, however, and increased the lead by yet another point leaving no time for Team Garvey’s to make up ground.

The final score was Team Garvey’s St Mary’s 69 Trinity Meteors 73.